Respiratory Disorders Community
Trouble breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Trouble breathing

About 4 months ago, I noticed a difficulty in breathing and not being able to catch my breath as easily.  I am 21 and am a smoker for about three years.  As of a couple of months i noticed that with a sudden movement to the left of right with my arms, its almost as if air is escaping out of my lungs without me taking in a breath.  Its kind of like a wheezing sound and im not sure what it is. Also in the mornings I have to clear my throat and there is a raspy sound in my lungs, focused more towards the middle. And, when working out I feel like a rattling sound in at the top of my spine...what could all of this be??
Tags: breathing
Do these breathing exercises (pranayam) to improve the breathing. If you do not see improvement by 12 weeks, then seek further medical advice.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.