Respiratory Disorders Community
Tuberculosis, pneumonia, stroke.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis, pneumonia, stroke.

HI, I didnt really know what heading or even what forum to right this in. but my father-in-law had a stroke 3 weeks ago.  he is rightsided paralysed, no speech, or cough reflex. He has now developed pneumonia and is on a respirator and is critically ill. (He has a Tracheostomy tube and a PEG placed.) The Doctors have also just found that he has TB Teberculosis and seems he has had it for years un-diagnosed. (He lives in India)
Is it common for a TB suffer to later get pneumonia - I know many stoke patients get it anyway but do you think the TB has brought it on, or made it worse.
What should we be thinking, expecting, asking doctors etc etc
AHAs anyone else gone through this?
I would like to hear anyones opinions, views or experience.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Avatar n tn
i'm no expert but TB in its later stage causes a lot of complications.  and if the virus is lodged in his lungs then its not impossible to get pneumonia.