Tuberculosis and Asthma
My daughter was diagnosed 1 month ago with asthma. She has had a chronic cough for approximately 2 months.  Last tuesday I brought her in the the ER for shortness of breathe and weezing.  She was admitted for 5 days.  It was determined she had a bad asthma attack.  They tested her for flu and micoplasm, both came up negative.  She began to get better and was released, her O2 saturation was around 97%.  Sunday she coughed up mucus with blood.  Since then she has just coughed up yellowish green mucus.  Today I learned that a child in her daycare has active TB and has been quarantined. I will be taking my daughter in for a TB test today. I called the pediatrician and she felt that the blood in the mucus was from the nosebleeds she got while on oxygen. She had a lowgrade fever when admitted, but since then her temp has been normal. My daughter had 3 chest xrays last week.  Is it possible that they could have missed TB on the xray?  Could TB cause and asthma attack?
TB does not cause asthma attacks.  TB is an infectious disease and can cause coughing in adults or children.  Having a TB test is a good idea since there is a possible exposure to someone with TB.  The blood in the mucus one time can be exactly as your physician has indicated.  For now, I would simply treat the asthma and wait for the results of the skin test.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker