Aa
A
A
Close
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Tuberculosis and Asthma
My daughter was diagnosed 1 month ago with asthma. She has had a chronic cough for approximately 2 months.  Last tuesday I brought her in the the ER for shortness of breathe and weezing.  She was admitted for 5 days.  It was determined she had a bad asthma attack.  They tested her for flu and micoplasm, both came up negative.  She began to get better and was released, her O2 saturation was around 97%.  Sunday she coughed up mucus with blood.  Since then she has just coughed up yellowish green mucus.  Today I learned that a child in her daycare has active TB and has been quarantined. I will be taking my daughter in for a TB test today. I called the pediatrician and she felt that the blood in the mucus was from the nosebleeds she got while on oxygen. She had a lowgrade fever when admitted, but since then her temp has been normal. My daughter had 3 chest xrays last week.  Is it possible that they could have missed TB on the xray?  Could TB cause and asthma attack?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
248663 tn?1198086695
TB does not cause asthma attacks.  TB is an infectious disease and can cause coughing in adults or children.  Having a TB test is a good idea since there is a possible exposure to someone with TB.  The blood in the mucus one time can be exactly as your physician has indicated.  For now, I would simply treat the asthma and wait for the results of the skin test.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank