Respiratory Disorders Community
Tuberculosis cureable or non curable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis cureable or non curable?

A nurse told me that TB is treatable but not curable. Even after the treatment, the TB bacteria will still stay in my body but only that they in are dormant state. Is this true? that I will never be able to get rid of this TB bacteria in my body? and that TB is not curable? and that one day when it become active, it can destroy my lung and take away my life?=(...
The nurse is correct. The TB organisms cannot be entirely eliminated from the body by any known treatment. That being said, don't feel you have a death sentence! TB is very manageable, and there is a liklihood that with proper medical care it will never again become active, destroy your lungs and take away your life. You do, however, have to pay a little more attention to your physician's instructions, your diet, exercise, and nutrition that the average person. The dorman bacteria require a "trigger" to multiply, and for your information that trigger has been identified by researchers, and probably within ten years medications will be available that will prevent that trigger from actuating. So enjoy the New Years! There is no reason to be depressed.
In other word, this website is BSing about that TB is treatable and curable? Do you agree? http://www.doh.gov.za/tb/factsheets/factmedia2003.pdf . Its a .gov website, so i thought the information should be accurate. Is the goverment and media is trying to hide the fact that its not curable just to not scare TB patients?