Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Understanding FVC
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Understanding FVC

My mom received these results from her recent dr. appt.:
FVC was 2.5 liters; should have been 3.5 liters
FEV was 1.5 liters; should have been 2.5 liters
She was told that she had a mixed pattern of obstruction/restriction. She was alone for the doctor appt. and didn't come away with much more information other than she should get a living will prepared. How serious do these results look? I realize that this isn't much to go on, but it's all she came away with. She also is a very brittle diabetic and a breast cancer survivor, and has been through alot. I think these results upset her and she perhaps didn't get a clear understanding of the ramifications of the results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.