Unexplainable Chronic Cough
I wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of a situation like this:
My boyfriend has had a serious cough for about 15 years. It comes and goes as far as the severity, but it always lingers. It seems to get worse after a cold or sickness for a week or 2, but usually goes back to the less severe version. He has been to doctors and specialist back in the beginning, done various lung testing and chest x-rays, and nothing conclusive has come of it. The only thing that was diagnosed was sports induced asthma. He no longer plays sports. About 2 months ago he got the flu, was put on Tamiflu and got better, but his cough has never been as bad as it is now. It is so bad he gags and almost vomits. At his most recent doctor visit last week, he was prescribed steroids, Zithromax, an inhaler, and Singulair. So far there has been no change and tomorrow will be his last day of antibiotics and steroids. We are at a loss for ideas and his patience for seeing doctors (and funds for it) is wearing thin. Any suggestions? Ideas? Cures?

Thanks!
Hi, the other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the windpipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime he could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises. Regards.
Thank you for the advice! I will have him talk to his doctor about this. I don't think this was ever mentioned as a possibility.