Aa
A
A
Close
Unexplained Decline in Lung Capacity and VO2Max?
Hi,

I am a 39 y.o. male law enforcement officer and recreational combat athlete (kickboxing, grappling, etc.).  I exercise consistently 4-7 days per week and employ a wide variety of conditioning methods, ranging from high intensity sprints to long, slow distance running and various resistance training protocols.  My concern is that despite my workout regimen, I continue to suffer from what I feel is unreasonable shortness of breath (esp given my activity levels) and seem to be losing lung capacity (~18% as measured via PFT over the last 15 years) and my VO2Max is declining (based on two different VO2Max test over the last couple of years - one was upper 30's and newest was lower 30's using ml/min/kg of bodyweight).  I have seen and been extensively tested by both a cardiologist and pulmonologist, both of whom say I am in good/great shape.  I take asthma medication (singulair, advair, albuterol) although no tests have conclusively proven I have asthma.  Below is some testing history in the event it may help:
CARDIAC:
- have had all available tests, except an angiogram
- only finding has been ocassional PVC's, left axis deviation, and incomplete bundle branch block, all of which cardiologist said not to worry about and should not be causing problems
- resting heart rate has increased over the years, but I suspect this may be due to initiation of thryoid medication
- slightly elevated LDL and triglyerides and slightly low DHL cholesterol
PULMONARY:
- PFT's all "normal" but show decrease in total lung capacity of ~18% over last 15 years (something I noted, told this was normal by most recent pulmonologist)
- PFT with albuterol showed no significant increase in function.
- Passed methacholine challenge test, although I did sense some constriction
- history of airborne allergies, chronic sinusitis
- multiple chest x-rays, all of which were described as normal with the exception of one several years in which some small aveole (sp?) inflammation was noted, none noted since then
ENDOCRINE:
- hypothyroid, determined in 2007
- suspicion for hypopituitarism in 2008 (low testosterone, low LH/FSH, low IGF-1, failed HGH stimulation test), but no pituitary tumor identified
- all other blood work essentially normal
MUSCULOSKELETAL:
- minor (barely noticeable) pectus excavatum
- osteoarthritis in neck and back
GASTROINTESTINAL:
- lots of gas and bloating and frequent stools, possible GERD (have taken nexium and similar drugs in past, but not currently)
MEDICATIONS:
- ENDOCRINE: thyroid, testosterone/novarel (to stimulate natural testosterone production), arimidex (1/4 pill a week to combat aromatase of testosterone), HGH, metformin (to counteract blood sugar increase from other meds)
- ALLERGIES/"ASTHMA": singulair-PRN, allegra-PRN, astelin, nasarel,
- CHOLESTEROL: niaspan, omacor (fish oil)

Any guidance or suggested tests, etc., would be much appreciated!

Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
P.S. - Some of the shortness of the breath is most prominent when walking up stairs after being fairly sendentary for a period.  If I am "warmed up" the shortness of breath is much less pronounced or non-existent.  In other words, my symptoms seem to improve with exercise, although I still have less exercise capacity than I think I should have given all of the exercise I do.  

Some suspicions I have researched include:
- glucose storage disease
- endothelial dysfunction/delayed vasodilation

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources