Respiratory Disorders Community
Unknown Unsolved Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Unknown Unsolved Cough

Hello!  Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I'm really not sure where to go. I’m a 31 year old female ex-smoker (quit 3 years ago and smoked for 7).  I’ve had a cough for 2 months now that came on with no associated conditions like a cold or flu or exposure to anybody with cold or flu or contagious conditions.  My cough gets worse with exertion and I cough when I lay down to sleep.  I have woken up coughing 3 times in the past month but usually I sleep through the night.  My doctor said I had acute bronchitis and he put me on 4 daily breathing treatments of albuterol…also had prednisone, Mucinex, and Factive.  I’m allergic to Codeine. I don’t live with any smokers and I’m not exposed to cigarette smoke at all.  I used to get lung infections and bronchitis frequently as a child but that cleared up after the age of 8 or 9.  I have no history of asthma that I’m aware of.  I’ve also noticed occasional shortness of breath but that goes away provided that I rest.  I’m not really coughing up any phlegm and when I do it’s only white.  I’m not really sure what to do next.  I’d really like to know what I’m up against.
Do this pranayam twice daily, and it will help with the shortness of breath and gradually clean the lungs with the extra oxygen. Come back with your feedback in 3 weeks and then again in 3 months, so someone else can benefit from your experience.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.