Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Unusual side effect of Advair?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Unusual side effect of Advair?

My 7and a half year old daughter has asthma, environmental allergies, is on Prevacid for suspected reflux problems.  She has been all the usual meds and is now taking Zyrtec, and Advair 100/50 twice a day.  She was on oral Prednisone this past May for her lung infection and put on the Advair to try to keep the airways open to avoid another bout of pneumonia.  She also had mono and a strep infection in late May.  My concern is the amount of hair she is losing.  It has been quite noticable around her temples and now when I comb her hair I can see her scalp over most all of her head.  She continues to lose hair daily.  It has become very dry and tangled.  She is Asian and normally has very thick, silky hair.  Could this still be a reaction to the Prednisone (she used to lose some hair even with the short courses of Orapred when she was younger) or is she an unusual case of systemic absorption of the Advair?  I can find evidence of this in testimonies from adults but have not been able to find anything about pediatric use.  The pulmonologist and allergist both feel it is not the Advair.
There are many descriptions of people losing hair with prednisone.  This is not a problem that occurs in lots of people, but does occur.  Advair
has she had her thyroid tested?? i dont know about the advair but if adults lose their hair somewhat i'm sure it can happen to kids too?