Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Upper back pain, chest congestion, cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

It's been a little more t then two weeks I felt pain in the middle of the chest like I have sprained muscules near the chest bone. My  upper back muscules were hurting as well like I slept in a bad position, I had stiffness in neck. I had a mild dry cough, then conditions worsened, I started feeling week, seek, no fever. In a couple of days cough started produce mucous, back hurt every day, especially after I hold my baby or sweep the floor for example. I went to a doctor, he listened to my lungs, said there is no problem. He found my throat very congested and prescribed me antibiotics Zithromax, which I took for five days and it gave me nothing, but upset stomach. Back pain locates mostly in the middle of the spine, spreads on the shoulders, sometimes I have shoots through my right shoulder, especially I think that one of the disks hurts. The pain goes down when I rest. I have difficulty breathing as well, chest feels congested. I smoke occasionaly with friends 3-4 sigarets  a day max.
Shall I see another doctor or what shall I do? I am afraid of a cancer a lot, I am 29 and my first husband died from canciroma on his thymus. Can my symtoms (symptoms) meen something like that? Back pain worries me, is it normal for pneumonia or bronchitis?

Thank you
Iza
If the pain in your upper back were caused by a bad sleeping position, then it would improve as the day goes on.  Since this pain is getting worse you will need to see a doctor again to have a thorough physical exam to find out the nature of the problem.  This could be related to your smoking or it may have nothing to do with your smoking.  A chest x-ray is a good place to start to see if a lung problem is the cause.  A pulmonologist would be the type of specialist to tell if you need further testing to identify a lung problem.  Once the cause is known treatment can be started to get you well again.

Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung.  This is most commonly due to an infection.  Inhaling bacteria or viruses is usually the way pneumonia is spread.  Generally bacterial pneumonia will come on very suddenly while viral pneumonia will develop more slowly.  Symptoms may include cough, back pain, chest pain, chest congestion, rapid breathing, shortness of breath, fever, chills, sweats, headache, weakness, tiredness, and a general feeling of discomfort and body aches.  It is generally best diagnosed by chest x-ray in addition to a thorough physical exam.  Treatment is based on the severity of your symptoms and the type of germ causing the infection.  Antibiotics, like Zithromax
1 Comment
A related discussion, back pain was started.
A related discussion, chest congestion was started.
A related discussion, Viral or bacterial. was started.