Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Upper back pain when breathing deeply

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Upper back pain when breathing deeply

Hello, since I awoke this morning, I've noticed a sharp pain in my upper back whenever I breathe deeply. When I adjust my posture the pain decreases yet is still there. I'm a 25 yr. old, healthy male who smokes socially. Is it possible for this pain to be caused by sleeping in an awkward position? I usually sleep on my back but last night I slept on my side, which is the side in which I'm having pain. Could it be the smoking? I'm not very worried but I'd just like to have someone elses opinion. Thanks
If this sharp pain in your upper back whenever you breathe deeply was caused by your awkward sleeping position last night, then it should improve as the day goes on.  If this pain is continuing you will need to see a doctor to find out the nature of the problem.  This could be related to your smoking or it may have nothing to do with your smoking.  To know for sure if this is due to a lung problem you will need to have testing done.  A good place to start is with a chest x-ray.  A pulmonologist would be the type of specialist to identify a lung problem and the best treatment.
1 Comment
A related discussion, upper center back & Breathing pain was started.
A related discussion, Upper back pain. was started.