Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Upper back tension/pressure around lungs

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Greetings.

I often experience pressure and tension around my upper chest, shoulder blade and middle back areas. It appears to begin(sometimes)not long after rising from bed and even sitting too long.
I often try to sleep elevated upright with about three pillows because I have a history of back discomfort throughout the night from sleeping on surfaces like a mattress. I have been concerned over the past 6 months with an obvious "pressure" feeling around my upper lung area resulting in me trying to cough a little bit in attempt to clear what feels like flem (phlegm)? but there is usually no much to cough up.
I do not have a history of asthma, I exercise daily and am a 35 yr old male.
About 6 months ago I did go through the flu though(1st time ever I believe)and it really hammered my lungs-I coughed up flem (phlegm) in the mornings for the next 2 months! Although noticably less each day until it ended. The doctor at the time prescribed Tamaflu? and it really helped it pass mostly in two weeks but my coughing was really bad for days. I wonder about scar tissue causing lung/airway problems from this past illness. It seems when my upper back and chest tense up that my breathing does feel restricted. Running swimming and hiking do not seem to cause any difficulty in my breathing, actually it may help a little if right before I am feeling the pressure in my upper back area.
I also have a history of anxiousness.
I simply wonder if these descriptions,if they were serious,would produce more intense symptoms if they were airway problems?

Thank you for your time.
It is not uncommon to have a persistent cough after the acute flu symptoms have resolved.  Fortunately, this does not result in any permanent damage.  Your exercise capacity suggests that you have good lungpower and do not have respiratory disease.  The symptoms you describe are consistent with muscular discomfort, possibly with excessive muscle tension.  In this circumstance, stretching exercises that include slow deep breathing can be helpful.  Also yoga can be helpful.  Muscle relaxants are generally not very helpful.

Anxiety may well contribute to muscle tension.  If you continue to harbor concerns about your lungs or chest, having a chest x-ray and doing spirometry may ease them.  Spirometry is a simple breathing test that measures how your lungs are working.  It will show if there is obstruction in your airways.  Often it will identify a problem in your lungs before you have symptoms.  When this is done periodically it will tell about the health of your lungs over time.

Keep up the exercise.
Sounds like asthma, do you somke? If so STOP.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Last week I did see my doctor and we are in agreement that my acid reflux could be acting up again as well (it has been 5 years since any major problems other than mild heartburn). After an exam he thought asthma and or cardiac problems were highly unlikely and I tried a quick spirometry test and the highest reading was something like 640. It did put me at ease as you mentioned it may!
So we treat the reflux for a month and see how things seem after, I already notice a difference in chest pressure as of one week on pres. antacids.

Thank you again for your time and knowledge!
I'm sorry that was a PFM test not a spirometry.