Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Upper left lobe lung fibrosis, rest of the lungs clear of inflitration ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Upper left lobe lung fibrosis, rest of the lungs clear of inflitration (X-Ray Result)

Help. I went through the usual annual physical checkup and this is the first time i'm getting an xray in 4 or 5 years. The X-ray was taken March 2009, and I only got the results today. I'm 27 years old, male. I'm physically fit, I go to the gym regularly, and I have good muscle / body fat ratio. (body fat is 10%). I'm just very worried. My xray results show that I have fibrosis on my upper left lobe, while the rest of the lobes are clear of infiltration. Last November, I went to see a cardiologist because I felt shortness of breathe, and I was palpitating. The cardiologist found nothing. The APE also found all my vitals to be normal, including stethoscope.
Right now, I've had this cough for around 4 days already. The cough is not painful, and worsens at night.
I'm schedule to see a doctor that specializes in pulmunary disorders soon, however, I just really can't get over the xray results right now. My question is, could this be Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis? Or could this be just nothing? Am I right in understanding that infiltrations cause the swelling of the lungs that could cause fibrosis? Is it possible to get fibrosis without infiltration? Are my x-ray results very alarming and serious? :-(
At your age and in seemingly good health, the detection of “left upper lobe fibrosis” as an incidental finding should rightfully be of little or no concern.  In this context the fibrosis is probably a scar from a lung infection that could have occurred many years ago.  It is unrelated to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), which is a diffuse fibrosis, rather than localized.  That the rest of the lobes “are clear of infiltration” means that they are normal in appearance, with no sign of disease, and that is a very good sign.  The terminology gets a bit involved but pulmonary fibrosis is a type of infiltrate.  Given what you describe, you have no reason to worry about the diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis.

Such scars are most often the residual of infection with tuberculosis (TB) or with any of a number of fungus infections.  The significance of this scar/fibrosis is that, if you also have a positive TB skin test (PPD), you might be a candidate for preventive TB therapy for 3 to 6 months.  This is something you will want to discuss with the pulmonary doctor.

I strongly suspect that your current cough of 4 days has nothing to do with the x-ray fibrosis.