Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
VQ Scan vs Spiral CT with Contract Dye - So Confused!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

VQ Scan vs Spiral CT with Contract Dye - So Confused!

Back in August I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism via VQ Scan and put on Heparin & Coumidan. In September I went to another hospital and they did a Spiral CT that showed my lungs were clear with great circulation. Last week I went back to the same place thatdid the VQ Scan for a follow-up and the Radiologist said that "the clots have not changed from the August VQ Scan" Needless to say I was incredibly confused after the Spiral CT said I was clear. So, my Hemotologist (this is the 2nd one - the first was not a nice person)did a D-Dimer AND another spiral CT on Friday and the DDimer cameback normal and my CT came back perfect. Now I'm really confused. I
asked the Hemotologist what on earth the VQ scan could be picking upand he replied "very possibly false positives" FALSE POSITIVES?????? So realistically, there is a very
good chance I never had PE to begin with (I had NO PE Symptoms other than some very minimal pressure in my chest but I also had a cold at the time the PE was found by a fluke because a Ddimer was "slightly off"). For there to be "no change" after 4 months of coumidan therapy? Is this possible? Any information is sincerely appreciated.

Best regards,
Colleen