Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Very Bad Odor from Mouth and Nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Very Bad Odor from Mouth and Nose

I have very unusually and bothersome smell that I have been experiencing for about 2 years now but it seems that there has been no cure yet. I've went to two ENT doctors, my primary care doctor and asked my dentist but nothing is working...I have bad breath maybe cause by post nasal drip or middle ear infection. I have stuffy noses sometimes, when I breathe from my nose also, there's a very stinky odor that I smell (even people around me can smell it), I often swallow excessive mucous from the back of my throat that feels like it stays there, I blow my nose and sometimes I just get clear mucous (sometimes yellow/green) also from spitting it out after gargling, and I was known to have many ear infections when I was a baby. The last time I experienced this was about a year ago but now it seems that I get some slight pains in my ear especially when it's cold but often times when I'm sleeping, plus there would be drainage coming out of my ear. Anyway, those are all the symptoms I can recall as of now...what bothers me the most is the bad smell from my nose and mouth/throat. I always brush and floss my teeth. I used therabreath, breath rx, saline solution and other nasal sprays including mesosilver, but NOTHING worked. I looked online for info concerning this problem and some say it might be post-nasal drip, middle ear infection, catarrh...oh yeh, and most of the time I lose my sense of smell...What would this bad smell and loss of smell be coming from? Please...I need answers immediately!
Obviously this is a significant problem for you.  You might consider going to a board certified allergist to see if you are allergic and this is the cause of the ongoing drainage.  I have to assume from your description that you have had CT scans of the sinuses, including views of the tonsils and adenoids (adenoids).  They would be the first step to determine a possible infection that is the source of the problem.
Have you ruled out any dental issues? Chronic fistulas or unhealthy gums( you can have unhelathy gums even when you floss)...(I am a dental hygienist for 30 years)because everything can be healthy but you maybe have one area that has periodontal involvement.

Do you brush your tongue? Tongue brushing is becoming a much bigger issue in the dental world. In some offices they even have a precedure they call tongue debridement.

Triclosan is an ingredient in some toothpastes that is being recommended for people with chronic bad breath. Unfortunately they haven't discovered a way to make tricloson a liquid to put in a mouth rinse so I recommend patients to get a toothpaste that has triclosan in it. - and make a liquidy mix of it and gargle several times a day with it - really deep gargles to the point you almost swallow it...

Also I have had good luck with the RX mouthrinse clorhexadine- it has several brand names. Again gargle with it several times a day - very very deep gargles. Only drawback to this treatment is that if your oral hygien is not excellent (and sometimes even if it is) your teeth can become stained a bit like coffee or tea stains. These staind easily come off with a routine cleaning at the dentist.

Good luck and I hope thismight help someone.

Barb
Next question, after you have followed the above advice and also gone to a dentist, is...what does it smell like?  If it smells like a little like poop and more like old Parmesan cheese, then it is a low-level sinus infection that can be cured by certain methods.
Hi jtex and everyone that posted a comment for me!...yeh, it does smell like poop! urgh! I went to my ENT doctor on Wednesday and he said it might be my tonsils for food getting stuck into these deep holes I have in them...he also said I have chronic sinusitis but I tried the prescription, nasal sprays, etc...what next, please help me...
E-mail this guy Jack at: the_carm***@****  The technique he developed seems kind of retarded, but it's based on research from the Mayo Clinic, and it's highly effective against bacterial sinusitis.
A related discussion, Did you ever find a remedy for this problem? was started.
A related discussion, really bad smell coming from throat was started.
A related discussion, bad breath was started.
A related discussion, Bad odor from mouth and nose was started.