Respiratory Disorders Community
Very strange pain in throat/lungs from showering?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Recently i have been experiencing some very strange pain which only seems to happen when I'm about to get into the shower or am in the shower. It started a little over a month ago. I have not changed my diet, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, or anything like that so i don't think this is an allergic reaction. I wake up at 8am every weekday. I get up and head straight for the shower. One day while i was showering, all of a sudden i start feeling this weird pain in my throat and lungs that gradually builds untill it reaches a crippling state. This pain can only be described as a chemical burn in the throat and lungs. Kind of like if you breathed in chlorine or bleach fumes for a half hour. It feels like someone is hammering a red hot railroad spike down my throat into my lungs. When it happened i got out of the shower, towel off and got out of the bathroom for some cool air. I get into the fetal position and take a few short breaths followed by some deep ones and within 5 minutes or so it will go away. A few times the pain was so intense it made me vomit. The strange part is that my breathing isnt affected at all. It doesn't hurt to breath, the pain doesn't get better or worse depending on my breathing, It doesn't feel like my airway is being restricted, I'm not wheezing and coughing doesn't make it worse. I'm concerned that its not my lungs at all because of this. I'm thinking the pain is more in my throat and has something to do with whatever glands are in my throat. Possibly my thyroid. Another strange thing is that this doesn't happen every time i shower. One day it happened 3 times while i was in the shower. Then it didn't happen again for 2 days. Its a very hit or miss type of thing. Also the pain will resonate into my teeth and ears sometimes. I thought it might be angina but it only happens while showering and i'm not raising my heart beat during a shower. Plus i do not feel any kind of pain with my heart or in the heart area. All this pain is more towards the top of my chest and throat. Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that about a week after i started getting these pains something in my throat started to bother me. It was on the right side of my throat right next to or behind my adams apple. It was very sensative to the touch and i could feel it pulsating in my throat. But this went away in about a week without any medicine other than Vitamin C tablets. I want to go to the doctor but I'm afraid it might be something horrible and i don't have the money for this right now. I know i'm going to have to take alot of tests and schedule multiple visits and my health insurance is terrible. So I figured I'd see if anyone else had this happen to them or if anyone can give me some idea of where to look to find out what might be wrong. I can't find anything online that come close to this. Please help if you can. Its horrible to not know if your going to be doubled over in pain anytime you take a shower. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.