Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
WHAT CAN BE THE POSSIBLE CAUSE OF WATER IN LUNGS?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My father has been sick for 5 months now. In the beginning he used to get breathless very frequently, doctors gave him medicines for other things. Then after soem time he was unable to even sleep since he used to get choaked and it was hard to breath. After this a doctor asked him to get an X-ray which showed only one of his lungs meaning, the other one was full of water. When they got the water out it ahd blood mixed in it too. That was a sign of a big problem. Then the doctors start asking him to get different kinds of tests, the ultrasound, X-rays, even put him on Tuberculosis medication. Recently, the report showed no signs of TB but he's still on it. This month they have done his Biopsy to look for any mellagnant cells of cancer but it was negative. He still getting water in his lungs and have got it out three times in 5 months. He's getting very week and doesn't eat anything at all. Now the doctors are going to do Bronchoscopy in 2 days to see whats the problem.
My question is that are the doctors doing the right thing and i wanna know the possible causes in yourtexpert opinion. The important thing to mention is that my father is in pakistan and i don't trust doctors over there. I just wanna know if he's in safe hands.Kindly solve my problme and guide me what to do.
I shall be grateful to you for doing this favour.

Sincerely,
Amina
I certainly can not solve your problem. I can only offer a few comments as to what may be going on. It sounds as if your father is having recurrent pleural effusions. I won't explain in detail what that is but some doctors refer to them as "water on the lungs". Considering what test's the doctors are performing, they are doing it in the best interest of your father. Tuberculosis (TB) is certainly a consideration for recurrent pleural effusions as is malignancy (cancer). Especially when the patient has no signs of trauma and has bloody drainage, as you described, malignancy is high on the list for probable causes. You did say, however that your dad's biopsies were negative for these types of cells which is good news. The bronchoscopy is another test for the doctors to perform to look for causes. It is something the doctors feel is necessary to rule out other factors/causes. As for him being in Pakistan, I can not say to trust or not to trust those doctors. If it is something you are able to do, there are some great medical centers here in the United States that you may want to consider, National Jewish being one of the best. I don't know where you are located but there are great places from east to west. I hope you can feel better about your father's care. I wish you luck. Take care...

J.C.I. RRT RCP
Thankyou vrey much for your reply. It really made me feel less worried about him since you said the doctors are looking in right direction. Anyways, the lattets situation is that he is on oxygen since he's having difficulty in breathing and ofcourse he still has water in his lungs. The doctors are planning to do bronchoscopy soon.
As you were asking where am i located. I am in canada right now. I know there are many good hospitals here but for him to come here and gte treatment is a long process. Lets see what happens next.
Thanks again for your reply.

Yours Sincerely,
Amina
A related discussion, Fluid in the lungs was started.
A related discussion, atrial fib and water on the lungs was started.
A related discussion, fluid on the lungs was started.
A related discussion, Water in lungs was started.
A related discussion, water in lungs - previous operated for throat cancer was started.
A related discussion, water on the lungs was started.