Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Waking up like I have just got myself out of a trance

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi, for 4 years now I have put up with- It only happens at night and when I am asleep. I will wake up trying to get myselt out of like passing on or some thing. This is very hard to explain but it's like I wake up my heart is racing and I am breathing heavy but what gets me the most is I don't know it's happening until I am like trying to sit up and I am trying to stop myself from going under or shutting down. I have to try reall hard not to I suppose faint or let go. My husband says I am breathing weird and through my mouth. I get tingles in my head sometimes and I have headaches only sometimes. My vision is not good but I do have to wear glasses any ways. I have had a heart monitor and a heart event monitor and a stress test and my young heart specialist tells me there is nothing wrong with my heart. I had epilepsy when I was 3mths old to around 13 or so but nothing since but at first I thought it might of been epilepsy because of the way I start to go under going into a trance- thats the feeling. But every night I worry that I won't wake up the next morning and I am so sick of this. My doctor I think thinks I am just a weirdo. I told her it's like I am dying or something and I am trying to stop myself. I did try to get a head scan but didn't like the confined space and freaked out-I am seeing another dr to get another scan soon as. Please help with any ideas
Tags: Night Sleep problems
What you describe most likely fits into the category of Sleep Disturbances.  It could also reflect some type of seizure activity but, given that it only occurs at night, that would be a less likely cause.  If your doctor really does believe that you are “just a weirdo”, it may be time for you to see another doctor.  

A CT scan of the brain would be appropriate as would a formal Sleep Study.  I agree with the cardiologist that what you experience is not a sign of heart disease.

Were I to advise you on consulting with a specialist who might be able to diagnose and treat your condition, I would recommend that you see a Neurologist and/or an expert on sleep disorders.

Good luck