Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Week long cough ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Week long cough ?

I am a 26 year old male working as a carpenter in the English winter and have had a bad cough since Tuesday (it's now Sunday night) I wouldn't normally worry but I have never had a cough quite like this, or for as long. The contributing factors are, I am sure, the fact that I smoked two cigars and about 10 cigarettes in the weekend, don't ask me why, I am a non-smoker ! coupled with the fact that I work in a dusty environment, especially this week as we have been working with MDF (medium density fibreboard, that creates a fine dust when cut) so I am not so much looking for the reasons for this, but some idea as to how long it might go on for/treatments ? I have not gone near a cigarette since, and am trying work in dust free areas as much as poss. I have been on Anit-Biotics for 4 days now with no let up.

It is a chesty cough, and feels like a tickle deep in the throat. it's not particularly flemmy, actually seems to produce more of a white mucus. It's worst in the morning, or after exertion i.e running for a bus, climbing stairs etc.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards.
It is not uncommon for a cough caused by a virus and/or an exposure to irritants to last a couple of weeks.  If this is getting worse or is not getting better, I would suggest seeing your doctor.  If this were a bacterial infection alone, the antibiotics would have worked by now, in most cases.  This is probably something else.  If it were simply a virus, it would have started to get better.  It is possible that you have irritated your lower airways and now you are having airway reactivity causing the problem.  A good physical examination will solve this question.
And just to add to that, the cough usually sends a throbbing ache through my whole head....usually after having been coughing continuously.

and it is not limited to just in the morning or after exertion, as at the moment, I am having to cough every few minutes to clear the 'tickle' deep in the throat....(no phlegm)