Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Weight gain and Albutrol
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weight gain and Albutrol

My 7 year old son suffers from Asthma and I was wondering if the regular use of Albutrol may be contributing to his weight gain?  Thank you, Denise
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
Albuterol should have no effect on weight gain. Inhaled steroids, in some children, can increase appetite and be associated with weight gain.
2 Comments
Blank
Dear Friend,
Here's a similar question & answer I found regarding albuterol use not being connected to weight gain.
Best of luck!
Aloha,
Starion--thriving in HI

http://www.coloradohealthnet.org/chnqna.html?Drug%20Information%20Center?Asthma?1988

1999-2002 Questions and Answers
Drug Information Center: Asthma

Question: I have had asthma ever since I was born. I've been on albuterol for the past 15 years. My question is, does albuterol have a tendency to make people eat more. I work-out all the time and I feel I should be more fit than I am. When my asthma was under control for about a year I was able to become very thin and fit. Now my asthma is not as good and I cannot get back to where I was. Thanks for the info.
Answer: I am not aware of individuals experiencing weight gain due to the medication albuterol. If your asthma is not being adequately controlled with this medication, you may not be as physically active as when your asthma was well controlled. This may result in your workouts not being as efficient or as effective as they once were. I would strongly encourage you to discuss your asthma symptoms with your healthcare provider to determine if another medication or an additional medication may be needed to adequately control your asthma on a continual basis.
Sondra May, Pharm.D., Drug Information Pharmacist, Denver, CO
November 2000

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers