Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
What could be causing this?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

What could be causing this?

About three weeks ago I started coughing, the cough had no phlegm or anything and normally coughs like this go away in a week or so, so I didn't pay it any attention, I might add that at this time my sinus was quite bad due to the bad air quality in my country (smog) so I was sneezing a bit and my nose was stuffy when I went to sleep every night.

After the first week, I was still coughing, so I took some cough syrup that was meant for dry coughs and after a week or so, my coughing eased down but now  but I still have this feeling that phlegm is stuck on the back of my throat and when i try to cough it out nothing comes out.. I  also feel short of breath.. not gasping for air or anything but just feeling that I am doing a light run or something, the feeling gets stronger when I am lying down on my back and less so when I am sitting down.. I also want to add that I've previously felt this way before(1 year ago), where GERD seem to have been the cause of it..

I've read that GERD can cause coughs and everything and just wondering if thats the cause of my coughs? I also have a very serious sinus problem as mentioned earlier where very little dust would cost me to sneeze very strongly and stuff up my nose..

thanks for any advise
Many problems can cause a cough.  It is possible for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and/or sinus problems to cause a cough.  However it is also possible to have more than one problem causing a cough.  So you could have GERD or sinus problems along with some other problem causing your cough.  With sinus problems a cough can certainly last for 3 weeks.  You should see your doctor if your cough has not gone away after 12 weeks.

GERD is the back flow of stomach contents, including digestive juices, into the esophagus or food tube.  This is most commonly called acid reflux or heartburn.  Your symptoms could be caused by esophageal spasm from heartburn.  This reflux can come all the way up into the mouth and nose.  When this happens the material can be aspirated, dribbling into the windpipe and lungs.  This could also explain your symptoms.  Please check with your doctor about these possibilities.

GERD can cause the following symptoms:
also I want to add that I have not had any headaches or fevers, though sometime i get this back pain that goes up an down