Respiratory Disorders Community
What else can I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

What else can I do?

I had bronchitis for 2 weeks wretching up tons of greenish/yellow sputum. I saw a doc at NJH. He is running a seris of tests over the next month. In the meantime I ended up having laryngitis (I think from coughing so much). The NJH doc gave me levaquin for 21 days. I took the first dose and it made me have some strange side effects so he told me to stop. Now I have post nasal drip and my laryngitis is still there although getting better. I have done everything for the laryngitis, steam, cool mist humidifier, room temperature water (about twelve 8oz glasses a day), resting my voice. It is getting better very slowly. Now I have a post nasal drip and I am coughing up greenish/yellowish sputum but it's from the back of my throat not my lungs anymore. I am going to try a nasal rinse today. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do outside of what I am doing already to  help relieve some of my symptoms? I have been sick for about 3 weeks and it's draining me. I get little to no sleep because of my coughing.

(In addition to this illness, I came down with a UTI. The NJH Nurse told me to see my regular doctor for that, I did and he prescribed 1,000 mg of Amoxicillian for 7 days, I am on dose 1)
Do these breathing techniques and come back with your feedback.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 5 to 20  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 10 to 20 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Sounds like you now have a sinus infection, and the infected phlegm is draining to your throat, causing the cough.  If the antibiotics prove ineffective, a Sinus Flush will clear it out.  Saline rinses are only useful in the lower sinuses.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub with the shower running.

Also recommend visit to ENT.
You have a bacterial infection.

Levaquin should not be prescrribed for twenty-one days.

While it is an effective antibiotic, it has serious side effects.

Amoxicillan may help. Drink it with grapefuit juice.

Use a saline spray up the nostrils every day and get 45 minutes of sunlight every day.

A vitamin D3 supplement and 1000mg of vitamin C a day will help.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Do not sleep with a fan on your back or the air conditioning on.

Yeah, you need an evaluation by an ENT if this doesn't resolve.

People actually die from these infections. Take it easy and don't go back to work.

If this doesn't resolve, don't hesitate to go to an ER.