Respiratory Disorders Community
What is cavitary pneumoina?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

What is cavitary pneumoina?

I have all the symptoms of pneumonia.  The xray came back as either pneumonia or lung cancer.  Small mass found on lower left lung.  Treating me for pneumonia.  I will have repeat xray possible cat scan.  Asking in advance.  How often is this found?  Can pneumonia look like lung cancer?  Day two of medication and I do feel better and fever broke.  I still have pains from my cough and still expereince the sweaty, hot and cold bouts but feel better despite general aches and pains.  They said possible cavitary pneumoina.  What is this?
A cavity in the lung is typically a region that should contain air cells, but has been replaced by some form of mass or lesion. In some, the 'cavity' can harbor organisms that can predispose a person to an infection process that can lead to pneumonia. It's something that will need follow-up to find out exactly what is going on.

You unfortunately posted on a GI board so you may not find a lot of people who have experienced this condition. You may want to consider re-posting your question on a MedHelp board that deals with lung/pulmonary issues.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

X rays are images and can show radiolucent or opaque shadows. And only a differential diagnosis can be obtained from this. Further additional testing like CT scan, tumor markers or PET scan may further help in the evaluation. But a confirmed diagnosis of cancer can only be made with a histopathological study, which is the study of the cells, which is done on the biopsy of the lesion.  

So, after therapy with antibiotics, a repeat X ray may be needed to see for resolution of the lung lesion, if it is due to pneumonia.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.