Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
What would be the reason for morning crackles?!?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Okay, here is my question:  Back in April of this year I was diagnosed with having possible bronchial pnuemonia (pneumonia) (no symptoms at first other than sore chest muscles and a chest xray)  I was put on Biaxin which in turn made me sicker than a dog.  I experienced vomiting (every 2hrs) diarrhea, and a 102 temp.  Shortly afterwards I started noticing my lung congestion being present (crackles, wheezes, productive cough) I ended up taking a full course of Tequin (refused to take anymore Biaxin) and two full courses of Zithromax before it was totally "Cleared up"

My question is:  I have noticed since right before being dx with the pneumonia up until now, that I have fine crackles in my left lower lung lobe upon wakening in the morning.  (I'm a nurse and used my stethoscope to listen at just the right time)  It clears with one big breath, but I am now concerned.  Is this residual from the pneumonia OR could it be signs of CHF?!  I am a 30 yr old mother of two children (10 and 7)  Family history of CAD and father died of MI at 72 yrs old.  I am overweight 245lbs (currently losing weight, was 274lbs)  My follow up chest xray came up clear even though I was at that time also experiencing this symptom.  Thank your for any/all help you can give me on this matter.
Since the crackles in your lung bases clear with one big breath, this is most likely collapsed airsacs, also called atelectasis.  This could be due to shallow breathing during sleep.  It is possible that you have had these crackles for a long time but just weren't listening for them.  You will need to be seen by your doctor to know if this could be and early sign of Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) or residual from the pneumonia.
Do only a select few get their questions answered around here?  I'm still waiting here for an answer to my question!??!?!
I am not a nurse but experienced these symptoms back in 1996 and again in early 2002.

I was concerend about CHF and was reassured by the pulmonologist via chest x-ray and him listening to my chest that i did not have CHF. I had chest x-rays in 1996 and it did show some slight upper scarring most likely from previous undiagnosed pneumonia in the past. This scarring did appear again in early 2002 but the last chest x-ray..it was gone.  I still have the "noises".   Biaxin was the biggest help for me although I also hated the med.

My hubby had the same thing this past spring and his doctor placed him on Levaquin for a 12 day dose.  I believe Levaquin normally comes in a 7 day dose. This along with codeine laden cough syrup and a cortisone pack...he did get better.

Again, I am not a nurse but isn't the age of 30,  young for CHF?   I am in my fifties.

Good Luck To You.