RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
FORUM
Wheezing in lungs after laying down?
by Ellyo, Apr 13, 2006
Whenever I get up in the morning, I stand up and take a deep breath. With this I always feel a wheeze in my lungs and it makes me cough.(It sometimes feels like breathing fluid up my lung)
It only happens after I have been lying down for a while. If I lay on my left side, I get it in my left lung. When I lay on my right side I will get it in my right lung.
I have no idea what this is. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
Answer:
by National JewishBlank, Apr 14, 2006
It is difficult to make a diagnosis on the basis of this small amount of information.  If this is a new problem, it could be as a result of an infection.  Wheezing and coughing are common symptoms of asthma. It is hard to understand the change in the sides of the symptoms you have described.  Because these are clearly not normal symptoms, I would suggest speaking with your physician about these symptoms.  It is likely that you will need a chest x-ray and a lung function test to help get a better understanding of the cause of the problem.
Member Comments (3)
by myproblem, Apr 13, 2006
This is just mucous that has "settled" while you slept. In and of itself, it is not harmful, neither does it indicate anything serious. You may have allergies. If it has been more than 3 years since you bought a new pillow, you could try replacing it. It may befilled with dead skin and dust mites. Almost everyone is allergic to dust mite poo. You can also try drinking a lot more water. This will thin your mucous, and maybe keep it from settling at night.
by rommel74, Apr 15, 2006
I'm also having a similar problem.  However I don't cough after the deep inhale, just feels funny on that first  deep inhale. It also doesn't happen when  I'm lying on my  side, only on my back. I had all sorts of tests,(xray,spirometry,blood  and  urine, thyroid) all of which came back negative. I've tried the following meds (prescribed  by  doctors)  - Ventolin  inhaler, antibiotics (twice,  don'-t  remember  the  name  of them), Nasonex for PND.  Please  let  us  know  if  you  get  a deffinitive diagnosis.
by ednis, Apr 19, 2008
A related discussion, Wheezing when lying down was started.
by TANYA182, Oct 24, 2008
A related discussion, wheezing after laying down was started.
by Tigger821, May 30, 2010
A related discussion, comment to wheezing while lying down was started.