Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Wheezing in my throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Wheezing in my throat

Hi, I have had wheezing in my throat for about a week and a half now.  I had a left lymph node dissection two weeks ago, with general anesthesia.  I originally thought the wheezing was in my chest.  Last week I had a chest x-ray and a neck and chest cat-scan which didn't show any lung involvement.  My husband heard the "gurgling" sound while I slept and I can now tell that the sound is coming from my throat.  I had my surgery two weeks ago, I also have a lump above my incision and when I swallow it feels like I have a lump in my throat.  I emailed a picture of the lump to my surgeon and he didn't seem concerned.  So ok the lump is normal post-op thing, but what about the wheezing/gurgling in my throat, what could that be?
Your having had a normal chest X-ray and neck and chest CT Scan is very good news, indeed.  Tracheal intubation is generally provided through an endotracheal tube (a tube placed in one’s windpipe).  Some persons are very sensitive to irritation from the tube (occasionally from the anesthesia) and the irritation can result in an abnormal increase in mucous production.

I suggest that you describe your experience to your primary care physician and ask if there is any possibility that your symptoms (“wheezing/gurgling and a lump in my throat”) are on the basis of involvement of your windpipe with the disease that was present in your lymph nodes.  If secondary to the intubation,  the irritation and your symptoms will, in most instances have subsided within the two week period.  Do not simply accept the explanation you’ve been given and do not hesitate to seek a second opinion.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker