Respiratory Disorders Community
Wheezing when I lay down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Wheezing when I lay down

For the past week or so, I have started wheezing the second I lay down in bed. I have had a cold this week, or so I have been told by my doctor (personally, I think it's bronchitis), but the cold is pretty much gone, yet I continue to wheeze the second I lay down.

The doctor gave me an Albuterol inhaler, but it hasn't helped one bit. I do have asthma, but - like I said - the inhaler isn't doing anything at all for me as far as the wheezing is concerned.

I tried laying on one side, on the other, tried sleeping in an adjustable bed, but no matter what I do, I start wheezing the second I lay down. I've been losing sleep over this because if I try to sleep, the wheezing just gets worse until I have to sit up. The most sleep I might get at one time is an hour or two if I am lucky. And, all this lack of sleep is starting to get to me.

I know it's not allergies, because if it was, it would be bothering me all the time, not just when I am laying down. And I've tried sleeping in several different locations with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to clear this up and to get some sleep??
I have the same thing. I can't sleep. I had bronchitus (bronchitis) in december but i cough and wheeze at night still and I am getting worried. Did you find anything?
When I had COPD yrs ago, I also had real bad wheezing, and SOB (shortness of breath) soon as I layed down. Look up the term orthopnia....I haven't done any research on it lately to see if they have any new treatments for it. I know back in the days that I was so sick, I had to sleep on several pillows, or up in a recliner...I had many nights of no sleep.....I was in my early 20's when I was DX (diagnosed with severe asthma, / reactive airway disease. I NEVER did smoke...was exposed to 2nd hand smoke, but I don't remember it being too awful... I have a fairl long blog on here somewhere, lol... posted originally around the beginning of June...It explains that I broke most of the rules, as I was very young to be so sick. They actually diagnosed me with COPD in my early to mid 20's...this was very unusual...Thankfully they have made many strides in respiratory diseases since the late 80' early 90's!! Make sure you see a pulmonologist to manage your disease...its very important, as I found many Dr.s that were just not that informed about the severity of Lung Diseases, and the effects it has on the patient, and their family.... Its a serious condition...and can be very debilitating...Good luck in all your lives...remember be informed...its your life! And God Bless!
Nurseatrest1963