Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Wheezing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Wheezing

After taking anti-biactics for sinus drainage and some wheezing in the chest I have ocassional wheezing when I lie on my left side. This morning my wife asked about the sound as I was lying on the left side. I really haven't noticed when on my right side. It sounds like two balloons rubbibg together. I also have a slight cough during the day. Am I being overly anxious ?
Thanks for your help
It is hard to say what is going on. Wheezing of consequence from your lungs should be heard and felt when you are in an upright position and on both sides. When you lie down, you compress airways and this may be the reason for the sound. If you are feeling progressively better and the cough is going away and not a problem, what you are describing is probably just part of the healing process from your infection. If the cough is persisting, you are wheezing when you are not lying down, or this problem is not getting better, I would recommend seeing your physician. A simple physical examination and perhaps a chest x-ray should help assess this situation quickly.
Thank you for your response. My cough is gone and I haven't experienced any more wheezing. I think you are probably correct regarding lying on one side and compressing the airways. As soon as I moved flat on back or on other side I didn't wheeze anymore.I have never had this situation when standing or sitting.
Thanks again for your help. If it returns I will see a doctor. It took me four weeks and two different antibiotics to get over the infection in sinuses. Have a good new year