Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Wheezing
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Wheezing

After taking anti-biactics for sinus drainage and some wheezing in the chest I have ocassional wheezing when I lie on my left side. This morning my wife asked about the sound as I was lying on the left side. I really haven't noticed when on my right side. It sounds like two balloons rubbibg together. I also have a slight cough during the day. Am I being overly anxious ?
Thanks for your help
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
It is hard to say what is going on. Wheezing of consequence from your lungs should be heard and felt when you are in an upright position and on both sides. When you lie down, you compress airways and this may be the reason for the sound. If you are feeling progressively better and the cough is going away and not a problem, what you are describing is probably just part of the healing process from your infection. If the cough is persisting, you are wheezing when you are not lying down, or this problem is not getting better, I would recommend seeing your physician. A simple physical examination and perhaps a chest x-ray should help assess this situation quickly.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you for your response. My cough is gone and I haven't experienced any more wheezing. I think you are probably correct regarding lying on one side and compressing the airways. As soon as I moved flat on back or on other side I didn't wheeze anymore.I have never had this situation when standing or sitting.
Thanks again for your help. If it returns I will see a doctor. It took me four weeks and two different antibiotics to get over the infection in sinuses. Have a good new year
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker