Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
When can you assume your antibiotics for pneumonia not working?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Last tuesday I woke up with a severe fevere and a really really short breath.
I tried to go to work, only to end up later in an emergy room.

I was quickly diagnosed with pneumonia, administered intravenous antibiotics and prescribed pills for 10 days.

I'm on my 5th day on pills.  I can honestly say my lungs felt better in the day following the intravenous treatment than they do now.  All I had was back and chest pain that disappeared with it.  

Now I breathe better (I think), but when I do, my lungs and throat burn A LOT!   I'm a lot more tired.  And it's getting worse since day 3.  

Not only that, the antibiotics are so strong, that they made me puke blood at a point and they cause extreme diarrhea.  

If they don't work, I'd like to know so I can return to my doctor and promptly stop taking those unpleasant  pills.
You definitely must notify your doctor of what is happening and have your treatment changed as soon as possible.  Vomiting blood, diarrhea and "getting worse since day 3" are all reasons why you will very likely need another antibiotic; the combination of ineffectiveness and side effects of your current antibiotic.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker