Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
When eating I get choked easily on my food.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi I don't know if you can help me with my question or not.I get choked on my food easily.I have several thyroid cysts on my thyroid gland.I all ways feel like there is a marble stuck in my throat.Could this be the reason I get choked on my food?My throat all so stays soar all the time,I am not on any medication at this time.Do you know if having a soar throat is common with thyroid cysts?I am all new with this and I don't have no knoweldge of it what so ever.Could you please help me Thank You TNT406.
The thyroid cysts could be the cause of your choking.  If the cysts or the thyroid gland are large enough to cause pressure on your voice box or larynx this could be the reason you get choked on your food.

Your choking may be due to a swallowing problem.  The epiglottis is a structure that normally closes off your windpipe when swallowed food or liquid goes by on the way to your stomach.  Then what you swallow does not go into your windpipe and choke you.  Your thyroid cysts could be pressing on the nerve that controls the closing of your epiglottis, so that it is not closing when you swallow.  This would cause you to aspirate.  When this happens some of what you are swallowing will get into your windpipe and lungs.  This could result in pneumonia or other lung infections.

With a laryngoscope an ENT specialist could look at your throat to try to find what could be the cause of your sore throat and choking.  A laryngoscope is a flexible tube with a small camera at one end.  A gastroenterologist would be the type of specialist to test and treat you for a swallowing problem.  This testing may include a tailored barium swallow and an MRI of your neck.  A tailored barium swallow is an x-ray test using fluoroscopy to watch for problems as barium is swallowed.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Food sticks in throat when eating was started.