Respiratory Disorders Community
When to use rescue inhaler?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

When to use rescue inhaler?

I just started using rescue inhalers. Not sure what is recommended. When do you use your rescue inhaler?

I sometimes use it when I am straining a little bit. Sometimes I think I should try and wait it out. Sometimes it bottoms out at 65% of my peek and then it returns to normal a few hours later. Should I not let it go to 65% or is that ok. Just wondering what other people do. I won't put my self in danger and will use it if I think it will be serious. But for  65% and above should I be using it? When it drops below 65% I definitely will use it because it is uncomfortable. But I could hold off until 45% if I had to. Below 45% scars me a lot.

I was just worried I'd get too used to using it and it won't work when I need it. I was using it every day, but now dropped to a few times a week at my 65% limit.

I know you can't tell me what to do, so instead I ask you what you do and when you use it. Thanks.
I use a spacer with my MDI...You get the most medication when using a spacer.
these are the steps I use:
shake inhaler for 1 minute. put inhaler and spacer together.  take a deep breathe in and blow it all out.  open mouth and insert inhaler, squirt 1 puff into spacer then take a long slow deep breath in.  do not let the spacer whistle....if it whistles, then you are breathing in too fast.  when i have finished my deep breath, i remove the spacer from my mouth and HOLD my breath for a slow count of 10..(if I can)...then wait 1 minute and repeat the process for the # of puffs you are supposed to take.

Studies suggest that your asthma is not under control if you have to use your albuterol rescue inhaler more than 2 times a week...Keep track of your peak flows and follow your asthma action plan.this plan should tell you when to go to the doctor or ER...if you fall into the red zone...get to the hospital fast or call 911....My dearest friend died 2 years ago because she did not call 911 when her peak flows got into the red zone...she thought she could wait until the morning and go to her MD....instead she went to the funeral home...Please don't let that happen to you...