Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
When will the coughing up mucus stop...it has been 6 months??
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When will the coughing up mucus stop...it has been 6 months??

I had atypical unidentified pneumonia in Feb. In hospital 11 days. Since then I have felt unwell, with daily coughing up mucus. Sometimes it is clear, sometimes light yellow, or dark yellow. More mucus in the mornings and it can wake me up at night. I have been tested for asthma and allergies and don't have either. Lung function tests are normal. CT scan was normal. On Advair 500- 2x per day, Atrovent, Salbutamol 4x per day, and Allegra 24 as per doctors orders. Some days are better than others, but feel like constantly fighting another chest infection/congestion. Had weeks of Amoxicillin, rounds of Doxycycline. Felt better on the 10 days of Doxycline, but Doctor thinks more antibiotics aren't needed.

Pulmonologist didn't know and ordered more tests ie) asthma etc.
Asthma test negative.

My GP thinks it might be bronchiectasis. Wouldn't that show up on the CT scan? CT was normal. I have lost 15 pounds since Feb. Daily coughing, but not always large amounts of mucus. Sometimes I cough and cough until really sticky glob of mucus comes out.

Heart Stress test - normal. Blood tests normal.

It seems the more I take my inhalers it then increases sinus problems. The inhalers seems to make my sinus problems worse and trigger inflamation (inflammation) - or so it seems. Plus, I am loosing my voice - is that due to the inhalers?

My doctor keeps telling me my lungs sound clear. What's up then?

I haave self medicated with extra zinc gluconate and vitamin C but I think I am taking too much of these, plus it doesn't seem to help anyhow. I am so frustrated. Any help is appreciated!