Respiratory Disorders Community
Whooping cough?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Whooping cough?

I am a 62 year old female that developed a cough, cold with a fever 6 weeks ago. After 5-6 days, I did go to the MD who put me on a Zithromax dose pack. The fever and cold went but I have coughing fits. I went back to the DR and had a chest x-ray and WBC that were all normal. I cough in jags that gag me and makes me want to throw up and also so hard that I have stress incontinence. It also happens when I am sleeping. I called the MD and asked if it could be whooping cough. He responded no since I had been treated with the Zithromax. Is this true?  Any suggestions?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to a post nasal drip, which can cause a chronic irritation in the throat. This could be due to a sinus infection, a cold or a chronic allergy. It could be sinusitis, if it is accompanied by nasal stuffiness and facial pain or pressure. Post nasal drip could also be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank