I have had an ongoing sinus problem for the last 2yrs with excessive mucus . I even had ethmoidectomy, however, I get nothing out of my nose or really very little. everything comes down my throat. It is awful and constant,Its about the consistency of a creamy like spit, not very thick, it seems to develop shortly after I eat or drink anything. It also is keeping me up all night since it wakes me and I have to gag tons of it out I am concerned as to what is causing this and why it happen after eating and sleeping. I have tried cutting out all dairy and gluten soy etc and have tested neg for allergies. My puzzelment is why eating anything creates a mucus storm and I feel i'm choking. I'm currently on a 14 day diflucan 100mg as a treatment by my Rheumy since the ent is not helpful, Rheumy is trying to eliminate reasons for this . I have not had a culture yet it's unbelievable but none of the Dr. Ent's , Allergiest or GP and Pulmonary requested a sputum specimen! I have a Apt at a teaching hospital next month in the Otolaryngology dept but until then I'm miserable. Any thoughts on why this is happens when i eat is it a logical thing to happen ?
The production of excessive mucus could well be an allergic response to ingested food or drink. You might want to keep a diary of which foods seem to result in the most mucus.
I would also wonder if you might have an outpouching of your naso-pharynx, the area of the swallowing tube directly behind your nose. This is called a diverticulum. When present, food and/or liquid can flow into the diverticulum, then later flow out and down your throat. The ENT might want to examine you for that and also get a swallowing study.
i had exactly the same symptoms and it did turn out to be a food reaction for me. It improved enormously when I cut out white bread and wheat products. However I still get it from gluten free products - s I susypect the problem is an additive like some soy product - I haven't been able to narrow it down further, but I have identified a list of foods that when I aviod them I don't have problems. I found with some antihitamine syrup I can tolerate small amounts of the foods without problem. Indicated to me there is an allergic reation behind it all, in my case. I would get some help doing an elimination diet. Remeber that it can take a while for some reactions to show up - up to several days after eating the food. That's why I'd seek help from someone who understands teh subtleties. And try antihistamine to see if it helps. Woudl indicate an allergic response is the problem. good luck.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.