Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Why do I keep taking deep breaths every few seconds?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Why do I keep taking deep breaths every few seconds?
For the past few days I've been needing to take deep breaths every 20 seconds or so. I also feel the need to yawn a lot. I do have allergies and a slight case of asthma. I've had a breathing test done that confirmed this but otherwise can't figure out what is causing this. I've had my o2 checked by a DR when I thought I was short of breath but it was 94. I also experience fast heart rate/palpitations, upper stomach discomfort, and lightheadedness. Any insight as to why this is happening? Thanks!
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
242587 tn?1355427710
What you describe suggests acute and chronic anxiety, perhaps with was is called a panic disorder.  However, the assumption should not be that your symptoms are on an emotional basis. Because these same symptoms could be caused by a number of metabolic diseases, including Diabetes, or by ingestion of a toxic substance.

I suggest that you seek consultation by a doctor who will take your symptoms seriously, take a careful history and determine what testing should be done to rule-out serious physical disease.

Good luck
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now