Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Why have I had continuous phlem and cattarh for a year?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I'm 16 and am suffering with continuous phlem and cattarh. When I have the flu, it becomes thicker and frequent but when i'm healthy, it's always in my throat so I have to push whatevers in my throat by tightening my chest from making a distorted cough. I was prescribed with anti-biotics after 4 months of having it and they made a slight difference then it returned. Periodically, my sinuses get very tight and blocked and I can feel the mucus or what ever it is behind my nose. I have been ill with the flu for around 3 days now and my nose is continuously running and I have phlem and cattarh in my throat and mouth which is either being swallowed and/or being coughed and spat out every 5 minutes. By coughing so tightly and forcefully, it have given me a sore throat and has altered my voice by making it very deep and during conversations it cuts off so i'm whispering. I would go to the doctors but if a blood test is necessary because I have a serious phobia of needles. Please help!
What you describe is strongly suggestive of chronic sinusitis possibly with chronic inflammation of your nose as well.  I suspect that what you describe as the flu is more likely to be acute worsening of your baseline condition (new infection or flare-up of existent infection).  I can appreciate your “phobia of needles” but you really should see a doctor (ideally and ENT specialist) as there are many causes of chronic inflammation/infection of the sinuses and not all will respond to common antibiotic therapy.  In addition, your condition is very unlikely to clear-up on its own.