Respiratory Disorders Community
Will paralyzed diaphragm be helped with better breathing??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hello everyone!  So glad I found this site.  About me:  52yr old female undergoing treatment for breast cancer that since 2007 has returned as a large mass in the mediastinal area.   As a result of either the mass or of surgery, who knows, I ended up with a paralyzed right hemidiaphragm.  Now I think I also have anxiety issues since often I start breathing really fast yet feeling short of breath.  Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that #1 get my anxiety under control without using ativan or xanax which is what I have and what the doctors do....give you another pill. And #2 see if I can reverse the diaphragm issue so I can breathe better and get back to work ASAP (I've been on home oxygen after also being diagnosed with radiation pneumonitis...I know ugh!!).

From reading other threads about breathing issues and doing a search on diaphragmatic breathing and its benefits I decided to start doing it now. I'll let you know if it's helped after some time has passed.

Question: does anyone know if doing diaphragmatic breathing will help/cure a paralyzed diaphragm??  Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Yes, the following techniques will help the diaphragm, as the cells become healthy and you will achieve your objective..
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.If you feel tired or dizzy stop, and resume after 1 minute.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.  
I am also experiencing the same problem. Had a recurrence of breat cancer in my left breast , which I had a mastectomy in 2005. The cancer has returned to some lymph nodes along the sternum  & the supraclavicle lymph node. Since starting chemo therapy in Jan. I have noticed shortness of breath upon exertion and progressively becoming worse. Consulted pulmonary specialist with no remedy, just dx of paralyzed diaphragm on that same left side.
Any helpful suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Sadie Survivor
You can do the pranayam alongside the chemo. Do whatever you can gradually. You need the extra oxygen to rebuild the cells.Start pranayam today and report your progress whenever you can.It will help others in similar position.Monitor your blood test results.
Thank you.. I will
Blessings.
Sadiesurvivor