Respiratory Disorders Community
Woke up Chocking,Gagging and gasping for air

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I was just sleeping in REM2 when I came to conscience literally gasping for air. I jumped up in a flash, fell ard to the floor, could only get a very little bit of air in per breath and with each exhale I caughed up a flemmy salivay thick substance. This gasping to breath happened for a period of over 2 minutes straight as I flopped on the floor and to my knees trying to get oxygen to my brain. I became very hot, sweaty even as the event proceeded and then dizziness and blurred vision accompanied the other symptoms happening. I even grabbed a bottle of water to try and clear my throat but could barely get a sip in and down. Finally, the gasps for air got larger and larger and as I caughed more flem (phlegm) and cleared my throat I was able to breath more and more. I had tears running down my face and was extremely sweaty and am very scared to go back to sleep. This happened 2 times in the past to me, but not for overa year ago and at both those times I was on alot of medicines and the Dr.s thought that was the problem, but i am not and havent been on any meds now for over a year. I was sleeping on my stomach wit my head to my right. It was terrible. Can someone please help me with any possible diagnosis or similiar experiences. I dont know what to do.