Respiratory Disorders Community
Wood Stains Trapped in Lungs...?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Wood Stains Trapped in Lungs...?

Last summer in June, I was painting my dad's big office mailbox with wood stain paint. I was exposed to the paint and the fumes for quite some time, but to lessen the smell of the fumes, I painted the mailbox outside.

A few hours after I finished painting, the smell of the wood stain paint still lingered. I figured that it was on my clothes or there were a few fumes that got inside the house, so I shrugged it off.

A week later, the smell persisted, and it seemed as if I was exhaling the fumes rather than smelling them. At first I thought it was my nostrils that still had fume residue, so I thoroughly cleaned them with Q-tips. It helped a bit, but the next day, the exhalation of the fumes returned.

The subtle taste of the fumes had been strong on the back of my tongue, so I figured that the residue must have been on my tongue, so I thoroughly cleaned my tongue with a tongue cleaner and mouth wash. It seemed to do the trick for a while, but a few hours later, the fumes returned, so that ruled out the possibility that my tongue was the cause of my strange fume exhalations.

This has been going on ever since I painted that mailbox. The intensity of the fumes when I exhale have diminished, but when I laugh or do something that involves a lot of exhalation, I find that I exhale the fumes as well.

I'm not sure what's going on, and whether or not the fumes have somehow lined my lungs or not. What should I do?

(Note: I don't live with my father, and the fumes from the mailbox have gone)
Tags: Lung, exhale, paint
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely that the smell of the fumes can linger this long. You could try diverting yourself, use deodorants.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.