Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Worried about chest xray results

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Worried about chest xray results

I had a chest xray done when I went to the hospital complaining about chest pains.  I have had mind pains for about 6 months which come on and off.  The doctor missed this but I got a call when the radiologist found a small (not measured) 'nodule' which they say is incidental.  I am to do a follow up xray in a months time.

I am a 31 year old female and non-smoker (formal social smoker in my 20s for a couple of years) and am told I have nothing to worry about.  I would like to put my faith in my Doctors suggestion but am still concerned and wonder if I should request another xray or CAT scan to explore this further.

If this is something serious, I am worried that waiting a month isn't the best thing to do.  I am very stressed and as a result have lost my appetiate.  I have no symptoms although I have lost about 5 pounds which I hope is just a result of eating less and eating more healthy.  I still have on/off pains in my chest, shoulder, shoulder blade which my doctors belive is muscle from picking up my 20 lb baby.

What symptoms should I watch out for? cough? shortness of breath?  should I be concerned about muscle type pains?  will I know if someting is wrong?  is it okay to wait a month for a follow up xray or should I request something sooner?

I'm a new mom and just want to make sure I'm ok... I don't know how I can get though the next month with all this worry.

I have had phenumoia and bronchitus (bronchitis) in the past (8 & 3 years ago) and am hoping that this is just some scare tissue or something.  Cancer doesn't run in my family.

Thank You,
Christine
It is very likely that a small nodule, less than 1 inch in diameter, found in a 31-year-old non-smoker is not cancer.  The nodule almost certainly has nothing to do with your chest pains.  This pain sounds like musculoskeletal pain.

Unless this small nodule has other characteristics that would be worrisome to a radiologist or chest physician, it is quite reasonable to wait 3 to 6 months for a repeat chest x-ray.  Also, this chest x-ray should be compared to any previous chest x-ray you might have had.
It is very reasonable to wait & have another chest x-ray or CT to see if your nodule gets larger, smaller, or disappears entirely.  From what you've written, it does NOT seem likely that the nodule is just a calcification or perhaps from a prior infection.  
Indeed you can have pain from lifting & carrying a 20-pound baby (& all the gear that comes with baby).
I'd say do your best to put this out of your mind & focus on your baby & the busy holiday season (I know, easier said than done).
Starion
Just was told I need a cat scan as they found an opaqueness on my chest xray what does that mean??????????????????????
Not to mention I'm having a heart catherization on Jan 3rd????
A related discussion, shadow on my lung x-ray was started.