Respiratory Disorders Community
Worried over Pink Phlegm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Worried over Pink Phlegm?

I am at work and started coughing, I realized that I started to taste blood, and when I spit what I could into a paper towel after coughing some more, I discovered that the phlegm or spit was actually pink. I blew my nose and it doesn't appear to be bleeding, and I wasn't able to cough up  much more after this. But being asthmatic I am worried as to whether or not this is common or is something more serious going on?

I smoke occasionally and have coughed up brown mucus before, but the pink was quite startling.

Any ideas or advise would be alot of help. Thanks!
Have you since cough up pinkish phlegm or was this a one time episode? If it was just the one time, it could have been irritation from coughing. Was your throat sore at all? I have had this happen a few times myself, especially if my throat is sore or if I have been coughing excessively.
If this continues, it wouldn't hurt to run it by your doctor. You could have an infection or something else. He would be able to better assess you and run the appropriate tests if necessary.
Sunny
Thanks so much for getting back to me!

It appears to only be the one episode, as it hasn't happened again. I think it may have been something to do with a new asthma medicine they had me on (Symbicort) As for once I wasn't actually coughing alot at the time it occured, and I actually felt really good that day.

I am going to keep an eye out though. Anything I should be looking for?

Thanks again.
My husband had a heart attack and triple bypass 2yrs ago.  He has phlegm since the bypass, but tonight he spit up pink phlegm and was very dizzy.  He won't go to the hospital now.  Does this sound serious?