Respiratory Disorders Community
X-Ray results - interpretation needed please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi.  I posted here maybe a week ago under "Where to Start?". I have had asthma for about 15 years and sinusitis on and off since about 1994. I've had sinusitis every 6 six weeks in the last year, but chronic sinusitis since september (the Big One that won't go away with medication).  I've received my X-Ray results and am waiting for spirometric testing, a CT Scan, as well as a referral to see an ENT specialist.  Can anyone help me sort through the results of the X-Ray so that I know which questions to ask the ENT?  (I've shortened sentences, but kept the ensential info intact) For the CHEST" ..."minimal hazy silouetting of the left heart border and left hemidiaphragm (triangular opacity in anterior hemithorax)... represent a fat pad or minimal atelectasis. No pleural efusions. Cardiomediastinal silouette grossly within normal limits. For the SINUS: ..."peripheral soft tissue opacification predominantly right maxillary sinus. No air fluid levels  to suggest acute sinusitis. Right maxillary sinus mucosal disease". I've Googled the last sentence, and keep coming up with the treatment being surgery. Are there other solutions?  Your help is much appreciated.
Im not a doctor but by looking at that it appears your chest is fine and not involved... but with the sinus issue,, if antibiotics arent clearing up the infections and antihistamines arent helping to dry up the excess fluid, then surgery may be the only option, assuming your doctor/specialist has tried everything else already. The concern usually is that if the area where the infections keep repeatedly occuring cant be cleaned up and dried out, just like an infection elsewhere in the body, it will eventually get deeper and possibly infect the bone which is far more risky to deal with.

It sounds like you and your doctor are approaching this very pro-actively, but Id suggest you do your best to try and keep the lines of communication about how your doctor wishes to proceed as that will help you feel more informed and in control of your health care. If he/she isnt explaining what they are doing or whats going on with the testing results, insist on having it explained or strongly consider getting a second opinion if you dont feel confident that your doctor can or is working with you to ensure your health improves appropriately.

*With respect and apprication* Jennifer