Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Xray result: Hyperaerated lungs, No hilar masses are seen, trachea in m...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Xray result: Hyperaerated lungs, No hilar masses are seen, trachea in midline

I just received my Xray report.

The report read as follows:

The Chest PA and lateral
The heart is normal in size and shape. The lungs are hyperaerated.  The pulmonary vasculature shows a normal distribution.  No hillar masses are seen.  The trachea is in the midline.  The diaphragms are in normal position.

Impression: Hyperaeratd lungs.

My doctor did not comment anything despite he underlined this - Impression: Hyperaerated lungs

I am a nonsmoker all my life in my 50's.
Hyperaeration can be seen with asthma and may be the first sign of COPD.  In most instances, it is neither of these, but is an "over-reading" of the chest x-ray by the radiologist.  Hyperaeration usually means that the lungs are expanded and have more air than one would expect.  Thus, the term "hyper" rather than "normal" aeration is used.  It is a somewhat subjective interpretation of the chest x-ray.  At your age, never having smoked, this is very unlikely to be a sign of a lung problem.  You should get your doctor