Respiratory Disorders Community
Yawning and Shortness of Breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Yawning and Shortness of Breath

Do any of you drink caffeine?  I have had this problem for several years now also.  The same exact thing!  I really want answers.  The doctors all tell me the same thing they have told all of you and I feel like it's a lost cause even going back.  I have tried to figure this thing out myself and have found it positively effective for me to stop my caffein intake.  I noticed the difference quickly.  Stick to it.  I know it's hard, I used to drink coffee everyday.  I still miss it, but I'd much rather have free breaths.  Every once in a while the breathing problem sneaks back in to my life and I just try to pay more attention to what I'm eating or drinking and making double sure it doesn't have caffeine in it.
I stay away from coffee, tea, soda and i TRY with the chocolate.  LOL
I meant this to be a comment on a previous post about people who have the same problem I have with excessive yawning or inability to complete the yawn and shortness of breath.  The shortness of breath is not really "shortness of breath" though.  It is the best way to describe it I guess but it just feels like you can't get a full satisfying deep breath.  Anyways, just wondering if any of you with the same problem could try giving up the caffeine and letting me know how it helps you.  I feel like this may be the problem but the problem still does come about for me from time to time so I would hate to find out it's just a coincidence.
A common cause of shortness of breath and tiredness is low iron level (anemia). Iron is important for red blood cell production. Each red blood cell can carry four oxygen molecules. When we are short on red blood cells we are essentially short on oxygen. Lack of oxygen in the blood makes the heart work harder and deprives vital organs and cells the chance to function optimally. The best source of iron is "heme" iron found in red meats as is absorbed more efficiently than plant sources. Vitamin C will maximize absorption of iron from red meat. So a glass of orange juice with your steak is a great idea. Cream of wheat is the highest source of non-heme iron, as are whole grains, cooked spinach, almonds and raisins. If iron levels are really low and you are symptomatic with shortness of breath, iron shots can be given for a quick boost and followed with iron pills. Hope this helps. Well wishes to you!