Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Yellow solid lumps in back of throat (offensive smell)

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I've been experiencing little solid lumps with a very offensive smell forming in the back of my throat. When I cough or sneeze, they are often forced out. What is the cause of this?

From your description, it sounds like you are experiencing an infection, which may be in your sinuses or in the back of your throat. Someone will have to examine you and perhaps perform a sinus evaluation (x-ray or CT scan) to make the diagnosis.
Several of my friends have experienced the same situation, and we have looked at several areas in the medical books....we suggest that you inquire the areas of the following: acute fulminant sinusitis by Aspergillus and Mucormycosis; mycetoma; *fungal ball (cavity of the sinus).  You can go to http;//www.asca.com/updates/1-1/10c.htm and go from there.
Well, those diagnoses are pretty severe...
As previously posted on this forum, I, and many others it seems, have a chronic problem with this.  We have all been relieved to discover that they are simply food particles that are trapped back there (I can't remember what those caverns are called, not very many people have such large openings as me).  Yes, they smell terrible.  I have finally figured out (sortof) which foods may cause this for me.  Family Practioner and allergist recommended garglling woth salt water (never worked for me).  After years of trying to dislodge and get rid of them for the day with various objects like spoons, I found the perfect tool.  A simple plastic citrus peeler works miracles-  It's safe, it's thin, it's curved perfectly.  Oh I still gag occassionally, but it's worth it.  Now that I am aware of this phenomenom, I can pretty well detect them before I breathe on anyone.

So dont let those little smelly yellow waxy pieces rules your social life!

I suffer from the same thing.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone.  I've found that a moistened Q-tip works well for removing them.
A related discussion, foul smelling yellow clumps in back of throat was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker