Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
abnormal chest xray report in 4 year old child

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

My child had a  large pleural effusion last January for no known reason. She had not been sick just started complaing of bad belly pain.  We get this cleared with antibiotics, but the chest xray questioned mediastinal widening. I then picked up chest xrays that had been done a year prior(she had bronchitus (bronchitis)) and find that the chest xray had been read abnormal at that time but the PA I had seen at the pediatricians office offered no mention of this last year.  I took the films to a radiologist that I work with and he agreed that she had mediastinal widening and thought she had a right arch. Echo revealed left arch not right as suspected and her heart in good shape. The cardiologist said she needed to be evaluated for a tumor. a chest xray is repeated and this time, shows slight growth(Mar04, Jan05, and June05 were compared) and to do close follow up.  So, I took her back to the same place to ensure a similar reading but end up with a normal chest xray report.  The pediatrician is baffled and decides to call the doc that read it(different doc than before). She gets huffy and says she can't help that it had been read wrong the times before. She says basically,that she wa right they were wrong. My pediatrician said he refuses to deal with that doctor again and says we will repeat it in Jan. My child is basically healthy other than pale features, has began to complain with belly pain x 1 month, and appetite has diminished because she says she feels full. Also, the rigt side of her chest on appearence looks as if it is further back than the left. Can you
offer any insite on this
This is obviously a perplexing situation. I would suggest getting all of the films and going to an academic medical center where they have Pediatric Radiologists (this may be a Children's Hospital) and get another reading and opinion. From what you have described, it is unclear as to what was in the past and now.
Since I posted my question, I have since found that the Doctor that read her xrays has been on consecutive suspension for substance abuse resulting in the inability to be treating patients in safe manner.  I have a frined taht is radiology department head that uses the goup of physicians that she works in.  She confirmed this and said that is the reason she has not been practicing at her facility.. I am quite shocked because these xrays were done at our universitie"s adjunct med center. The xray prior to this one was read by the pediatric radiologist at that facility. Thank you for you advice.  We had checked into taking her to a major med center, but they will not see her until we have a definate diagnosis per my pediatrician who checked there(John Hopkins).