Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
always mucous in back of throat and now some throat pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have constant mucous and sinus drainage in my throat - It is always clear mucous but I clear my throat 50 times a day.  I'm not starting to feel some pain in the back of my throat.  Swallowing has not become a problem but it is very irritating.  Could this be GERD?  When awakening in the morning I clear my throat of alot of mucous and phlegm!
It is possible, but less likely that this is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).  The more likely cause is a sinus infection or inflammation.  This causes postnasal drainage, which can cause the symptoms you have described.
Sound like a combination of GERD and sinus drip.

Adjust your lifestyle to control the GERD, sinus drip is a bit harder to get a handle on but antihistamines may help.
hi I had post nasal drip for years. It was treated as for hayfever with antihistamines and steroid sprays, not very sucessfully. Eventually disnosed to be an allergy to corn and corn derivatives like corn starch, thickeners, etc. Since avoiding these I am back to normal. I Almost said cured bit the allergy is still there, I just manage to avoid triggereing it now. You could research cuases of post nasal drip and allergies. My ONLY allergic symptom is the post nasal drip. No hives, eczema etc. Probably why the doctors failed to identify the cause.
i had lots of post nasal drip for years. In my case it turned out to be a food allergy to corn products. If i ate pasta with sauce (sauce containing corn starch) I would be choiking on mucous for up to 10 hours while the stuff got digested and into my system. Then it would go away about 3 am. Eating bread containing 1$ cornstarch would start it off again in the morning. I'v been practically like new since identifying the ause and avoiding it. I would investigate all possible aources of allergens - pollen, other airborn (cats, dustmites, mold spores), food & food additives, chemicals... best of luck.
My dad is 75 and has parkensins.He has dropped 80 pounds in the last 6 months. The worst thing is his chronic cough due to a thick phlym (flem (phlegm)) that seems to choke him severely. He has had tons of tests and he passes them all. The cough stops him in his tracks and chokes him to where he can't get his breath. The area of location is just in his throat, not any further down.  What can this be, no one seems to know?
It might be something in the diet.Ive noticed with myself,eating sugary things at times has instantly made me cough or catch a cold.Milk has been creating mucas.So i suspected candida,a yeast fungus overgrowth.the dr said I had some (on my tongue).Im not ready to have a scope put down my throat. Ive taken prescription antifugals,but some natural remedies are working better.one is oregeno.try it in some warm water.Another stronger one is called "fungal Defense" from garden of life.also,what medications if any have been taken over a long period of time?this could be contributing as well.
hello, my name is peter, i have had mucus and constant throat clearing for the past ten years, enough to make you freaking crazy and my family too.  constantly clearing my throat all the time!!!!  i am a chef and i am vegan, meaning that i do not consume any milk, meat or eggs, but i still have had this problem even without dairy until one day i had a revelation.  the firts thing i noticed is that i was eating alot of white flour foods like breads and white rice, etc.  i am a chef so i love making homemade breads, but i tested myself and did not eat the white flour and refined sugars for a while and i really cleared up, these foods are scientifically proven to cause thick white mucus.  i have been using tinkyada brand brown rice pasta and white whole wheat flour made by king arthur does not congest me like regular wheat.  the biggest thing though that has helped me is a neti pot, you can get them on line.  you fill it with warm water and salt, it looks like a little tea spout.  this is going to sound crazy but you stick it in one nostril and the water flows out of the other nostril tilting your head and then repeat on the other side.  then you blow out all of the **** stuck in your sinuses.  i beg you to try these suggestions, especially the neti pot, it is imparitive to your sinuses, i have stopped hacking and feel about 99 percent better, i was at my wits end and tried these things and they worked, i beg you again to try them, don't give the drug companies your hard earned money, i did and it got me no where.  thanks for listening, if you have any questions you can e mail me at ***@****, let's all get better!!!!!!
The only thread of a possible solution I found in another comment, which I am definitely going to try.  This person was given Levaquin, 500 mg, for 30 days & has had good success with it.  The reason why I think this might be a very good answer to this horrid phlegm problem that we are all writing about & almost willing to sell our soul for a resolution is this:  I used to have this excess phlegn problem following a 10 day regimen of antibiotics for a sinus infection, however, after a couple of weeks it would go away, until about 5 yrs ago, when, it decided to call my body home.  I think for some of us, a regular 10 day regimen of antibiotics cures the primary problem, but does not completely get rid of all of it, thus, we are left with this lovely coughing till we puke to try to get out the nasty phlegm to no avail.  I would give my I teeth, not to have to go through this constant hacking up stuff that looks like an alien life form.
I have an appt with an allergist that my husband has seen and I'm going to prompt him for the levaquin.  He currently has my husband on it just in order to clear out his sinuses enough so that the ENT can go in & do surgery for his chronic sinusitus.
I hope this info can help any of you out there going through this unwelcome guest in our lifes.
A related discussion, Do I really have sinusitis was started.