Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
back pain when inhaling deeply

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

back pain when inhaling deeply

for the past few weeks I have been experiencing mid to upper back and side pain when I inhale deeply.  Could this be lung cancer, I read that back pain that increases when breathing deeply is a ling cancer symptom.  I am very worried I have been medium to heavy smoker over the past five years (on and off) and I am 29 years old.  Could smoking have given me cancer in 5 years time?  Please help...extremely worried
There could be many reasons for back pain that increases when breathing deeply and, at your age, cancer would be a most unlikely cause.  Nevertheless, you should be seen by a doctor to find out the nature of the problem and the best treatment.  A pulmonologist would be the type of specialist to identify if your back pain is due to a lung problem.

It is unlikely to have lung cancer at such an early age, but possible.  While any amount of smoking increases the likelihood of getting cancer, the likelihood is greater the more you have smoked and the long you have smoked.  At this time quitting smoking is the most helpful step that you can take for your health.  To help you to quit smoking, you may want to look at our Just Quit Online program at http://www.nationaljewish.org.  Also check with your doctor for other quit smoking resources in your area.