Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
black mold

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

black mold

have notices that alot of questions are asked about black mold being a factor in the cause of sarcoidosis.  could this be?  we have a problem with mildew and mold in our home and my husband who has been very health suddenly was diagnosed with atrial fib and shortly after with sarcoidosis.  how do i find if any research has  been done on mold or mildew being a factor?
Sarcoidosis is a disease that causes small clusters of inflammation, called granulomas.  The granulomas can occur in any area of the body, but are most common in the lungs, lymph nodes, eyes, and skin.  The cause of sarcoidosis is unknown.

Many theories have been presented to explain the cause of sarcoidosis.  The current opinion is that an environmental agent, possibly a mold or fungi, may cause sarcoidosis in a genetically prone person.  So far research has found no mold or fungi as a cause of sarcoidosis.  The answer to your question is that there is no evidence for black mold, also called Stachybotrys, as a factor in the cause of sarcoidosis at this time.

Non-infectious hypersensitivity lung diseases, such as farmer's lung, appear similar to sarcoidosis.  The cause of this group of lung problems has been found to be due to a number of fungi.
1 Comment
I  am a 33 yr old male with Sarcoidosis.I have it in my lungs,and in my liver.I will need a  liver transplant {in time}.I do have allergies which are dust,and mildew.I too was in very good health until i started working in a place that has alot of cardboard dust.I known there is NO cause for Sarcoidosis,but from what i have read,and in talking to people with Sarcoid,alot of them are around dust,mildew,and mold.I feel that dust,and mildew have alot more to do with Sarcoidosis then we known.
A related discussion, Newly diagnosed with sarcoidosis was started.