Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
black particles in mucous

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

black particles in mucous

I work in a car dealership where they've had long-standing mold issues caused by roof leaks, and I now have asthma. They have finally for the most part fixed the major leak source. My asthma is a problem, but not exactly what I was going to address with this inquiry.

My issue of concern presently is the black particles which appeared in my mucous. I am a non-smoker. My office is in the import showroom, where they move vehicles (starting the engines, creating the exhaust) somewhat/fairly regularly, as well as polish them (inside the showroom).

They had someone come to test for mold; I followed him and asked many questions. When we looked at the filters for the A/C units one of them, most likely the one for my showroom, had a very low quality filter. He said that he would advise they change that to a better one. This was over a month ago, and I have been inquiring with my HR rep as to whether they have done this - have had no response.
I have noticed that the black specs/particles appear in my mucous during the week when I have been working - not the weekend while at home. I would guess therefore, that the cause is the air here at work.

Update - it so happens that this week I didn't notice any black particles in the mucous. Perhaps they've finally changed the filter. But I am still concerned - should I be or should I have been?

Also, do you recommend Intal for asthma? I know that it is an older drug, but I am not fond of Advair for a few reasons. Intal, it seems is somewhat more natural, fewer side effects..
Thank you very much for your assistance!
I think you should be concerned that these black particles are in your mucus because that means they are probably in your lungs.  Molds and fungi can cause serious lung disease in people who are susceptible.  This does not effect everyone, but you may be one of those who are susceptible.  Talk with your co-workers to see if anyone else is having a similar experience.  Several of you speaking to management might have a better chance of getting something done.

I suggest that you go to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) website at http://www.osha.gov/ to get further information about your guarantees of worker protection under the law.  You could also call your local OSHA office for information and advice.
If you are producing enough purulent mucus, have your physician order a fungal culture. This will take 4-6 weeks to get a report back, but it can give you some good ammo against your place of business if it turns positive.

Saliva is not an acceptable specimen. Ideally it should be a good first morning deep cough specimen. Leave the cup by your bedside. You should get a sterile container from your lab or doc. Make sure you take it into the lab the day you collect it.

Good luck.
Sounds like you need to get out of the showroom! Try it out for a few months and see how you feel.

Petrol Fumes are more potent than cigarette smoke.

E.
By the way intal is not a good drug for asthma, unless its really mild. Intal is for kids. Advair or Pulmicort are better choices. Advair had some bad press but it is an excellent drug that has helped many!!

E.
I don't wish to scare you.. but black particles or coffee like granuals can be a sign of dried blood in the lungs,, this is a must doctor appointment.
Drop everything and go today.
A related discussion, Black mucus was started.